Dean of Science
Wei Lun Professor of Chemistry
Fellow of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
Room G36 Science Centre
(852) 3943 1133
(852) 2603 5315
|1989||Ph.D. in Applied Chemistry||Osaka University, Japan|
|1986||M.S. in Applied Chemistry||Osaka University, Japan|
|1983||Diploma in Japanese||Northeast Normal University, China|
|1982||B.S. in Chemical Engineering||Dalian University of Technology, China|
Dean of Science and Wei Lun Professor of Chemistry Faculty of Science,
|2007-2020||Director of the EMS Energy Institute (2007-2020) and
Associate Director of Institutes of Energy and the Environment (2008-2020)
The Pennsylvania State University at University Park, USA
Founding Director of the University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research (UCFER) Funded by US Department of Energy, ,
National Energy Technology Laboratory (DOE-NETL)
Founding Director of the international Joint Center for Energy Research (JCER) between the Pennsylvania State University and Dalian University of Technology (DUT), Pennsylvania State University, USA and Dalian University of Technology, China
|1998-2020||Distinguished Professor of Fuel Science (2010-2020), Professor of Fuel Science (2003-2020), Associate Professor of Fuel Science (1998-2003) of Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering
Professor of Chemical Engineering (2008-2020) of Department of Chemical Engineering,
The Pennsylvania State University, USA
|2010-Present||Visiting Professor in Energy and Chemical Engineering,
Dalian University of Technology, China
Invited Professor in Chemistry,
University of Pierre and Marie Curie (now Sorbonne University), Paris, France
Visiting Professor in Chemical Engineering,
Imperial College London, University of London, UK
Hydrogen Energy Center, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
Director, Clean Fuels and Catalysis Program (2000-2020);
Director, Applied Catalysis in Energy Laboratory (1998-2000);
Associate Director, Laboratory for Hydrocarbon Process Chemistry (1995-1998);
EMS Energy Institute, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
Associate Professor of Fuel Science, Associate Professor, Senior Research Associate
Department of Materials Science & Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
Research Associate at Research Center,
Osaka Gas Company, Osaka, Japan
Catalysis and Chemistry of Energy and Fuels Involving Adsorption, Catalysis and Catalytic Materials for Clean Fuels, Chemicals and CO2 Utilization:
- Molecular basket sorbents for CO2 Capture
- Catalysis CO2 conversion to fuels and chemicals
- Shape-selective catalysis over molecular sieving nano-porous materials
- Catalysis & reaction chemistry for chemicals synthesis and energy conversion
- Selective adsorption in fuel processing for ultra-clean fuels and fuel cells
- Reforming of hydrocarbon and alcohol fuels for syngas and H2 production
- Synthesis & applications of novel nano-porous catalytic and (ad)sorbent materials
Honours and Awards
- 2019 George A. Olah Award, American Chemical Society (ACS)
- 2019 Distinguished Alumni of the Year Award, Dalian University of Technology, China
- 2017 Honorary Professor, Tianjin University, China
- 2017 Global Alumni Fellow, Osaka University, Japan
- 2016 The Most Cited Researchers in Energy Science and Engineering, Elsevier and Shanghai Ranking
- 2016 The Most Cited Researchers in Chemical Engineering, Elsevier and Shanghai Ranking
- 2011 Faculty Scholar Medal, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2011 Distinguished Researcher Award, ACS Energy & Fuels Division
- 2011 Catalysis Club of Philadelphia Award for Excellence in Catalysis
- 2010 Henry H. Storch Award, American Chemical Society
- 2010 Fellow of American Chemical Society
- 2010 Distinguished Professor, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2007 Herman Pines Award in Catalysis from Chicago Catalysis Club
- 2006 Chang Jiang Scholar Award, Ministry of Education, China
- 2006 Faculty Mentoring Award, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2004 Fulbright Distinguished Scholar Award, US Department of State
- 2003 Outstanding Scholars Overseas Award from Chinese Academy of Science
- 2000 Wilson Award for Outstanding Research, The Pennsylvania State University
- 1998 NEDO Fellowship Award, NEDO, Japan
- 1995 Materials Science and Engineering Service Award, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.S. AlQahtani, S.D. Knecht, X.X. Wang, S.G. Bilén, and C.S. Song. One-Step Low-Temperature Reduction of Sulfur Dioxide to Elemental Sulfur by Plasma-Enhanced Catalysis. ACS Catalysis, 2020, 10 (9), 5272-5277.
- X. Jiang, X.W. Nie, X.W. Guo, C.S. Song and J.G. Chen. Recent Advances in Carbon Dioxide Hydrogenation to Methanol via Heterogeneous Catalysis. Chemical Reviews, 2020, in press.
- X. Jiang, X.W. Nie, Y.T. Gong, C.M. Moran, J.Y. Wang, J. Zhu, H.B. Chang, X.W. Guo, K.S. Walton, and C.S. Song. A Combined Experimental and DFT Study of H2O Effect on In2O3/ZrO2 Catalyst for CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanol. Journal of Catalysis, 2020, , 383, 283-296.
- J. Zhu, G.H. Zhang, W.H. Li, X.B. Zhang, F.S. Ding, C.S. Song and X.W. Guo. Deconvolution of the Particle Size Effect on CO2 Hydrogenation over Iron-based Catalysts. ACS Catalysis, 2020, 10 (13), 7424–7433.
- J.Y. Wang, C.-Y. Liu, T.P. Senftle, J. Zhu, G.H. Zhang, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Variation in In2O3 Crystal Phase Alters Catalytic Performance toward the Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction. ACS Catalysis, 2020, 10 (5), 3264−3273.
- X.W. Nie, X.X. Ren, C.Y. Tu, C.S. Song, X.W. Guo and J.G. Chen. Computational and Experimental Identification of Strong Synergy of Fe/ZnO Catalyst in Promoting Acetic Acid Synthesis from CH4 and CO2. Chemical Communications, 2020, 56 (28), 3983-3986.
- X. Jiang, X.W. Nie, X.X. Wang, H.Z. Wang, N. Koizumi, Y.G. Chen, X.W. Guo, and C.S. Song. Origin of Pd-Cu Bimetallic Effect for Synergetic Promotion of Methanol Formation from CO2 Hydrogenation. Journal of Catalysis, 2019, 369, 21–32.
- W.H. Li, G.H. Zhang, X. Jiang, Y. Liu, J. Zhu, F.S. Ding, Z.M. Liu, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. CO2 Hydrogenation on Unpromoted and M-Promoted Co/TiO2 Catalysts (M=Zr, K, Cs): Effects of Crystal Phase of Supports and Metal-Support Interaction on Tuning Product Distribution. ACS Catalysis, 2019, 9 (4), 2739–2751.
- W.H. Li, Y. Liu, M.C. Mu, F.S. Ding, Z.M. Liu, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Organic Acid-assisted Preparation of Highly Dispersed Co/ZrO2 Catalysts with Superior Activity for CO2 Methanation.Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2019, 254, 531-540.
- L. Luo, K.Y. Li, A.F. Zhang, H.N. Shi, G.H. Zhang, J.N. Ma, W. Zhang, J.W. Tang, C.S. Song and X.W. Guo. Controllable Assembly of Single/Double-thin-shell g-C3N4 Vesicles via a Shape-Selective Solid-state Templating Method for Efficient Photocatalysis. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2019, 17815-17822.
- R. Zhang, X.X. Wang, S.M. Liu, L.L. He, C.S. Song, X. Jiang, T. Blach. Discovering Inherent Characteristics of Polyethylenimine-Functionalized Porous Materials for CO2 Capture. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2019, 11 (40), 36515-36524.
- Y.W. Sun, Y. Liu, J. Caro, X.W. Guo, C.S. Song, and Y. Liu. In-Plane Epitaxial Growth of Highly c-Oriented NH2-MIL-125(Ti) Membranes with Superior H2/CO2 Selectivity. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2018, 57, 1-7.
- T. Zhang, D. Zhang, X.H. Han, T. Dong, X.W. Guo, C.S. Song, R. Si, W. Liu, Y.F. Liu, and Z.K. Zhao. Preassembly Strategy to Single Cu-N3 Sites Inlaid Porous Hollow Carbonitride Spheres for Selective Oxidation of Benzene to Phenol. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2018, 140, 16936–16940.
- X.W. Nie, H.Z. Wang, W.H. Li, Y.G. Chen, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Mechanistic Understanding of Alloy Effect and Water Promotion for Pd-Cu Bimetallic Catalysts in CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanol. ACS Catalysis, 2018, 8 (6), 4873-4892.
- W.H. Li, X.W. Nie, X. Jiang, A.F. Zhang, F.S. Ding, M. Liu, Z.M. Liu, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. ZrO2 Support Imparts Superior Activity and Stability of Co Catalysts for CO2 Methanation. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2018, 220, 397-408.
- J.W. Zhong, J.F. Han, Y.X. Wei, S.T. Xu, Y.L. He, M. Ye, X.W. Guo, C.S. Song, and Z.M. Liu. Increasing the Selectivity to Ethylene in MTO Reaction by Enhancing Diffusion Limitation in the Shell Layer of SAPO-34 Catalyst. Chemical Communications, 2018, 54, 3146-3149.
- X.W. Nie, H.Z. Wang, M.J. Janik, Y.G. Chen, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Mechanistic Insight into C-C Coupling over Fe-Cu Bimetallic Catalysts in CO2 Hydrogenation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2017, 121 (24), 13164-13174.
- C.Y. Dai, A.F. Zhang, M. Liu, L. Gu, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Hollow Alveolus-like Nanovesicle Assembly with Metal-encapsulated Hollow Zeolite Nanocrystals. ACS Nano, 2016, 10 (8), 7401-7408.
- C.Y. Dai, A.F. Zhang, M. Liu, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Hollow ZSM‐5 with Silicon‐Rich Surface, Double Shells, and Functionalized Interior with Metallic Nanoparticles and Carbon Nanotubes. Advanced Functional Materials, 2015, 15, 7479–7487
- C.Y. Dai, S.H. Zhang, A.F. Zhang, C.S. Song, C. Shi and X.W. Guo. Hollow Zeolite Encapsulated Ni-Pt Bimetals for Sintering and Coking Resistant Dry Reforming of Methane. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2015, 3, 16461-16468.
- X. Jiang, N. Koizumi, X.W. Guo and C.S. Song. Bimetallic Pd-Cu Catalysts for Selective CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanol. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2015, 170–171, 173–185.